The Rising Star is a talent show for the NUS Hostels Community organized by the Office of Housing Services. This event aims to forge an extensive network of partnership between faculties, administrative departments, students and residents to form a community where all residents not only gladly reside, but also learn and do great things together as one NUS.
SEASON 3 (2018)
The Rising Star is gearing up for a 3rd Season! Auditions for Season 3 will be held on 28 September 2018 and the Grand Finale will be held on 25 January 2019 in UTown. The talent contest is open to all NUS student and staff, whereby at least 1 performing member of the team must be staying on-campus. Interested parties are invited to upload a 1 minute video to YouTube and submit the link to firstname.lastname@example.org by 12 September 2018. Please include your team leader’s name, residence, mobile number, matric/staff card number, performance name and group name along with details of the group members (for duo and group performances) in the email. Selected performances will be notified within a week from 12 September 2018 to compete in the auditions.
THE RISING STAR – PAST SEASONS
The 1st Season of The Rising Star was held in 2016 with the Grand Finale-cum-Year End Party held at UTown (Town Green) on 4 November 2016. The event started at 6pm and ended at 9pm. Party goers got the chance to enjoy a variety of activities and performances by the Top 10 talent finalists. Singapore’s very own local band, 53A, who were incidentally was chosen to perform 2016 National Day theme song, performed popular music during the event. To top it off, Gold 90.5 Radio DJ, Mike Kasem hosted The Rising Star. The top place went to “Please Press Flush” who were primarily from Tembusu Residential College. All in all, it was a very memorable evening.
2017 saw The Rising Star’s 2nd Season where its Grand Finale-cum-Year End Party was held at UTown (Town Green) on 10 November 2017. This time, One FM 91.3’s Glenn Ong hosted the event with local celebrity band SuperSonic pumping up the crowd with their music. The band’s female lead vocalist, Cassie, was also part of the judging panel. The heavydown pour did not dampen the mood as party goers were enjoying the performances by the Top 10 finalists as well as the fringe activites. It was a tough competition but when the dust settled, the top place went to “R.E.Y” who were from Kent Ridge Hall.
- 1st Prize – $3,500 cash
- 2nd Prize – $2,500 cash
- 3rd Prize – $1,000 cash
- 4th to 10th Prize – $500 cash
- This talent contest is open to all current NUS Student and Staff community whereby at least 1 performing member of the team (single/duo/group) must be staying on-campus in one of the Halls, Residences or Faculty Housing.
- Ex-residents of NUS (2015 – 2018) who are currently a student or staff with NUS are welcomed to participate.
- The Top 10 Finalists from The Rising Star Seasons 1 & 2 are not eligible to participate in The Rising Star Season 3. This includes any members of the duo/group.
- Applicants must be minimum eighteen (18) years of age as at 1 August 2018. All applicants younger than eighteen (18) years of age must have a parent/legal guardian/NUS program manager submit on behalf of the contestant.
- All images / videos / sound recordings / any other forms of recording of the contest process taken by OHS belongs to NUS which may be used for publicity.
- NUS owns all copyright, trademarks and other intellectual property of The Rising Star. Being a participant does not grant you the license to these copyright, trademarks and other intellectual property rights.
- There is no provision of props or costumes for the contest. Contestants are to provide their own logistics.
- NUS is not liable for any damage to your equipment during the course of the contest.
- OHS reserves the right to refuse any application or disqualify any participant from the contest.
- OHS reserves the right to change or revise any of the Terms and Conditions of the contest without prior notice.