Sustainability Programmes & Modules
The National University of Singapore (NUS) recognizes the importance of environmental sustainability, and the need to educate and groom future leaders who are aware and passionate about sustainability. Various undergraduate and postgraduate programmes in the field of environmental sustainability are offered in NUS, many of which adopt a multi-disciplinary approach.
In addition, a diverse array of modules related to sustainability is offered by the different faculties for students with interest in this area.
The Bachelor of Environmental Studies (BES) is an interdisciplinary programme offered jointly by the Faculty of Science (FoS) and Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (FASS). Launched in the academic year 2011/2012, BES is a unique undergraduate programme in NUS and Singapore for its broad-based and interdisciplinary approach in addressing the complexity of modern environmental issues such as climate change, resource constraints and urban density challenges. Students who are keen to make their passion in environmental studies a career will be able to harness the synergies of domain experts from participating faculties and schools in the Faculty of Engineering, Faculty of Law, School of Design and Environment, NUS Business School, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, Saw Swee Hock School of Public Health and the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy.
This 4-year direct Honours degree programme trains students who will be well-versed in environmental issues and policies in Singapore and Asia. A solid foundation in environmental issues will be gained by students through a 2-year broad-based curriculum and the reading of modules in Biology, Building, Chemistry, Economics, Geography, Law, Management, Mathematics, Policy, Public Health and Statistics. Students can choose to specialize in either Environmental Biology hosted by FoS or Environmental Geography hosted by FASS after their second year. BES students also get to experience integrated modules specially designed for them with emphasis on small-group discussions, case studies and fireside chats with key environmental luminaries, policy makers and governmental CEOs. Experiential learning for students are also available through field trips, internships, summer programmes and research projects.
For more detailed information, please visit http://www.envstudies.nus.edu.sg/
The Bachelor of Environmental Engineering (BEE) equips its graduates with the technical competency and engineering principles to handle the complex challenges of environmental engineering. This four-year undergraduate programme has been designed to provide a more complete learning experience by incorporating the three essential ingredients of the university curriculum, namely, the University Level Requirements, Programme Requirements and Unrestricted Elective Modules. The requirements for a major in Environmental Engineering ensure a balanced exposure to science, engineering principles and contemporary as well as emerging technology.
The 4-year degree programme will prepare graduates for a professional practice in environmental engineering and will contribute to environmental engineering solutions that are sustainable. The curriculum trains students to apply mathematics, natural sciences, computer skills and engineering principles to real world problems of societal concern. Students design and conduct experiments, analyze and interpret data related to air and water quality, bioremediation, energy systems and environmental impact assessment. The learning experience is enhanced with tie-ups to programmes such as the University Scholars Programme, the Student Exchange Programme with numerous overseas universities, and the Double Degree Programme with French Grandes Ecoles. The programme has been fully accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Board of Singapore under the Washington Accord.
For more detailed information, please visit http://www.eng.nus.edu.sg/cee/programmes/BEng_Env.html
The Master of Science in Building Performance and Sustainability (MBPS) offers graduates of different disciplines in design, construction, commissioning, operation and maintenance of building systems and services the opportunity to acquire knowledge and best practices in the field of building performance and sustainability. This is increasingly vital knowledge in the mitigation of adverse effects of climate change. There is a paradigm shift in building construction and performance, creating buildings that are comfortable, healthy and sustainable.
The MBPS is a one-year (full-time) or two-year (part-time) multi-disciplinary programme that addresses the challenges and issues faced by the building industry in rapidly urbanized cities in the tropical belt and other climatic regions. Candidates learn about total building performance and green building integration and how the built environment can be improved to mitigate the effects of climate change. Air quality, energy efficiency, structural systems and spatial performance, lighting and acoustic performance, sustainable construction and maintenance, protective building technologies, fire technology are areas that candidates will be trained in.
For more detailed information, please see http://www.bdg.nus.edu.sg/graduate/msc-building-performance-sustainability.html
The Master of Science in Environmental Management (MEM) programme adopts a multi-disciplinary approach in educating mid to senior level managers in environmental management for both public and private sectors. MEM graduates are equipped with the knowledge to handle the complexities and challenges of managing environmental issues, enabling them to make sound decisions that support sustainable development. The International Advisory Committee of the MEM programme is chaired by Professor Tommy Koh, Ambassador-at-Large for Singapore, and comprises eminent academics and practitioners from around the world.
The MEM programme is jointly offered by nine faculties and schools in NUS. It is hosted by the School of Design and Environment. Senior faculty members who teach the modules come from the School of Design and Environment, Faculties of Law, Engineering, Science and the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy. The MEM programme offers national, regional and international perspectives, drawing upon the expertise of established environmental agencies and institutions. MEM graduates benefit directly from links with overseas universities like the School of Forestry and Environmental Studies at Yale University and the Nicholas School for the Environment and Earth Sciences at Duke University. MEM students and graduates also learn from, and network with, a diverse group of peers and alumni from 27 countries who have made the pursuit of sustainability their profession of choice. One of the components of the programme is the MEM Seminar Series under which talks are delivered by prominent practitioners and researchers in environmental management.
For more detailed information, please see http://www.mem.nus.edu.sg/index.html
The Master of Science in Integrated Sustainable Design (MScISD) programme offers a cross-disciplinary approach and cutting edge research to professionals with an interest in sustainable development of the built environment. The one-year post-professional degree programme offers architects, engineers, urban planners, project managers and educators insights, knowledge and skill sets necessary for a holistic approach to sustainability. The multi-disciplinary approach advocates synergy between disciplines and stakeholders, bridging together knowledge and viewpoints.
The MScISD programme examines what it means to design and build for Asia, training candidates in the understanding of the inter-dependency of buildings and urban networks. It inculcates a sensitivity to climate, socio-economic factors and environmental vulnerabilities that are particular to the Asian region. The programme takes full advantage of being in Singapore, a country at the forefront of environmental policy and action in Asia. The curriculum includes visits to completed projects and guest lectures by policy-makers and consultants. In addition to the highly qualified faculty, in-house teaching is augmented with Master Classes by renowned scholars and practitioners. Informal learning opportunities abound through interacting with local and international guest lecturers.
For more detailed information, please see http://www.sde.nus.edu.sg/mscisd/index.html
- GE3210 Natural Resources: Policy and Practice
- GE3231 Natural Hazards
- GE3239 Environmental Sustainability
- GE5211Dynamic Environments
- GE5215 The Politics of Environment in SE Asia
- GE5217 Research Methods in Environmental Sciences
- BMA5123 Managing for Environmental Business Sustainability
- BMA5124 Environmental and Resource Management in a Regulatory Environment
- CN4248 Sustainable Process Development
- GEK1522 Global Environmental Issues
- ESE4405 Energy & the Environment
- ESE5603 Pollution Minimization & Prevention
- LL4171/LL5171/LL6171 ASEAN Environmental Law, Policy andGovernance
- LL4013/LL5013/LL6013 International Environmental Law & Policy
- LL4221/LL5221/LL6221 Climate Change Law & Policy
- PP5220 Science and Technology Policy Analysis
- PP5227 Environmental and Natural Resource Policy
- PP5232 Advanced Environmental Economics and Policy
- PP5234 Economics of Developing Countries
- PP5238 Urban Development & Policy
- PP5242K Policies for Urban Intervention
- PP5269 Environmental Economics
- PP5272 Energy Systems and Climate Policy
- PP5414 Gateway to Sustainable Development
- LSM2251 Ecology and the Environment
- LSM3272 Global Change Biology
- LSM4263 Field Studies in Biodiversity
- LSM3263 Field Studies in Neotropical Ecosystems
- LSM4262 Tropical Conservation Biology
- LSM4265 Urban Ecology which are related to sustainability
- AR1721 Climate Responsive Architecture
- AR2723 Strategies for Sustainable Architecture
- AR3721 Environmental System & Construction
- AR4103/AR4103A Architectural & Technology Design 1
- AR4104 Architectural & Technology Design 2
- AR4323 Integrated Design & Sustainability
- AR5321 Advanced Architectural Technology
- AR5322 Renewable Energy and Architecture
- UD5628 Sustainable Urban Design and Development
- PF1104 Environmental Science for Building
- PF2107 Construction Technology
- PF2104 M&E Engineering Systems
- PF2301Development Technology and Management
- PF2303 Materials Technology
- PF3302 Energy Management
- PF3301 Maintainability of Facilities
- PF4304/PF4103 Total Building Performance
- PF4305 Green Development
- BPS5101Total Building Performance and Integration
- BPS5102 Climate Change and the Built Environment
- BPS5103 Green Building Integration and Evaluation Studio
- BPS5201 Thermal and Indoor Air Quality Performance
- BPS5204 Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy in Buildings
- BPS5205 Sustainable Construction and Maintainability
- ID2105 Design in Context & Sustainability
- ID2122 Ecodesign And Sustainability
- RE3302 Environmental Issues in Cities
- DE4201Seminars in Sustainable Cities
- ISD5103 Green Buildings in the Tropics
- ISD5104 Energy and Ecology
- ISD5106 Sustainability Models and Blueprints
- UQF2101E Quantitative Reasoning Foundation: Quantifying our Eco-Footprint
- ULS2204 Biodiversity And Conservation Biology